Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lemon Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting

A Refreshing Spring Treat- Gluten Free
I was always the kid at the parties that requested two scoops of ice cream and NO CAKE. My loathing for cake started in second grade when someone brought in cupcakes for their birthday with a cake to frosting ratio of 1:2. They were extra mini cupcakes, so I put the whole thing in my mouth at once. I was so repulsed by the overwhelming frosting that I nearly gagged and had to force myself to swallow the rest. Maybe I had refined taste buds at a young age? I'm not sure. However I am sure, that cupcakes have become a big fad which I have been slow to catch on to. Once I did splurge on a real quality cupcake (not the safeway 12 pack), and was surprised by how good it was. So here it is, a second chance for cupcakes. They are not too sweet but just sweet enough. Without frosting they make a great muffin, and with frosting, they taste best chilled.


Lemon Cupcakes
 Ingredient- Makes 10-12 cupcakes
  • 3c blanched almond flour or almond meal
  • 1/4c coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2c raw honey
  • 3 eggs
  • 2t vanilla extract
  • 1T lemon juice
  • 1/2T lemon zest
  • 1/2t salt
  • 1/2t baking soda
 Directions
  1. Preheat your oven to 325*
  2. Whisk together eggs, honey, melted coconut oil, vanilla, lemon, and lemon zest until smooth.
  3. Combine the wet with the dry and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined (careful not to make almond butter).  The resulting product is a thick batter you can still poor.
  4. Empty batter evenly into the lined muffin papers or silicups.
  5. Bake for 23-25min, until a toothpick comes out clean and they are golden brown on top.
  6. Remove from the pan and let fully cool before frosting.
 
Lemon Blueberry Frosting
  • 1c heavy whipping cream
  • 4oz cream cheese
  • 1/2c blueberries
  • 6T raw honey
  • 1t lemon extract
Directions
  1. Whip the whipping cream together for several minutes until stiff peaks form. 
  2. Add the cream cheese and continue whipping until combined.
  3. Beat in blueberries, honey and lemon extract.
  4. Chill for 30-60 minutes. The longer the better. The frosting will be very soft, so this step is key for better taste.
Note: Technically, you are supposed to do many more steps, such as whipping the cream cheese separately, and boiling the blueberries. I liked the idea of blueberries not completely mixed in to add some texture, but feel free to try a total blend if you want a more professional look or smooth taste. Also, this version of frosting takes very little time to make.

Just a side note: My preferred method of eating a cupcake is to cut off  the bottom and place it over the frosting, for a nice sandwich.



No comments:

Post a Comment