Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Lara Bar

Cashew, Coconut Date Nut Bar in 10 minutes

     I decided to do something out of the ordinary for lent this year. When I drive to work in the morning, I pray for at least 5 minutes BEFORE turning on the radio. In addition, I gave up any non-homemade snack bars. The former has not been difficult to hold to, and is a great way to start my day. But it's the latter that's been so tempting to break from...until I made these. Let's face it, those Luna Bars, Lara bars and Powercrunch bars  are so convenient and we are always stocking up. My Dad even likes to serve energy bars to house guests as "appetizers". However, I realized my habit was adding up easily to eight dollars a week. That's more than my smart phone data plan! Fortunately, it actually takes less time to make these, than it does to go to the store and buy them. Since they are fresh, the dates have not had a chance to dry out, giving the bar an even sweeter and richer flavor. Making a batch before traveling helps stave off starvation on the trip. One can only ask for so many bags of southwest peanuts.
 
Ingredients  - Makes 7 large bars
  • 1 cup roasted cashews
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1.5 cup pitted  dates
  • 1/4 tsp salt if cashews are unsalted 
Directions 
  • Pulse nuts in a food processor for just enough time to break them into smaller chunks. 
  • Add dates and blend in other ingredients until mixture sticks together without crumbling
  • Spread out mixture 1 inch thick onto a cookie sheet covered with foil. Chill for at least 1 hour. 
    • These also freeze very well. 
  • Slice, serve and enjoy!







2 comments:

  1. This is like Flotrack's tasty race of the week.... Tasty Treat of the Week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that. I should make something really spicy every week. It would be my "Kick of the week!"

    ReplyDelete