Sunday, March 4, 2012

Fluffy Souffle Omelette

A sandwich for Spring Time 


I returned home from a beautiful 90 minute run through Golden Gate Park and the Presido famished with nothing but a latte in my stomach. What I eat after I run depends much on the temperature outside. After a run in the cold I'll warm up with a bowl of hot oatmeal, or when it's hot I'll drink a smoothie. Today however, was one of those perfect in between days. Seventies and sunny, everything fragrant and blooming. A souffle omelette just made sense with it's light and filling nature, and even a sunny/springy look. Bonus. total time = 10 minutes!




 Ingredients for Ommlette


  • 2 eggs separated
  • 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 tsp xanthum gum (optional, use for best results) Note: Through some research I found that xanthum gum helps hold the egg whites firm. While not crucial, it will help prevent the souffle from falling.
Directions
1. Beat egg whites and xantum gum in a bowl until stiff peaks form.
2. Slowly fold in yolks
3. Pour onto lightly oiled skillet on medium heat. 
4. Sprinkle cheese on top and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
Edges should be golden brown



Serve with: 
  • 2 slices of toast (I used Udi's GF rolls)
  • 1.5 tbs hummus
  • 1.5 tbs avocado (mashed)
  • 1 slice of tomato 
Chrissa Challenge! When you pour the omlette on the skillet, see if you can clean up everything else, and prepare your toast, within 3 minutes (before the first flip).

No comments:

Post a Comment