Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Healthy Apple Streusel Oatmeal

Creamy Oatmeal- All dressed up
     Oatmeal is one of those childhood foods that never gets old. I just have to change its style every now and then to keep things innovative. This bowl uses homemade Lara bars, and fresh apples to create an apple crumble-like taste. After taking pictures of this beautiful bowl, I sat down to my eat it feeling slightly awkward. Who eats a bowl of fancy, creamy, Christmas morning worthy, apple streusel oatmeal on an ordinary Tuesday morning by themselves? 
     Well I do, and I might make a habit of it. Fancy does not mean time consuming. I had the oatmeal and and Lara bars prepared in the fridge making this a 90 second undertaking. 30 seconds to find everything, and 60 seconds to microwave it. This sweet and creamy oat bowl kept me full for several hours, and added a touch of sophistication to my morning. They come highly recommended.

Ingredients
 Directions to cook oats
  • Microwave for 90 seconds on high, stir and microwave for an additional 60 minute.
  • Stove top: Add oatmeal and milk to sauce pan on medium.  Let oatmeal cook until it starts to bubble, stirring occasionally (about 3 minutes)
  • Rice cooker: Smart steam for 15 minutes
  • Remove from heat, add apple slices and crumbled homemade Lara bar
    • Note: If you would like softer apples, add slices before cooking.
    • Note: oats can also be cooked in water, but milk gives it a much creamier flavor. 
  •  Top with cinnamon 
Enjoy
Get ready for a whole new oat idea in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment