Monday, April 2, 2012

Apple Pie Bites

Chilled Apple Cinnamon Balls

      My 3 year old cousin Orion is probably my favorite taste tester. He is a charming child with a cheerful disposition, but will always give a straight answer. Even if he doesn't say anything, I can tell by his facial expressions whether he likes something or not. He polished off two of the sweet and chewy delights in a few bites and asked for another. Then he added in a whisper "Just don't tell my Mom."  His logic: These are really really good so they must be bad for me. The reality is he's eating nuts, seeds, and fruit. Why not have another? Although I did have some explaining to do when he wasn't hungry at dinner ;-)

Ingredients- makes 8-10 balls

  • 14 dates
  • 8 oz roasted lightly salted cashews
  • 2 T flax seed meal
  • 1.5 T chia seeds
  • 1 apple sliced
    • I used pink lady, but other varieties would work as well
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1 t vanilla extract
  • 1/4 t ground ginger
  • 1/2 C coconut flakes
Directions
  • Blend nuts in a food processor until coursely chopped.
  • Add dates vanilla extract, cinnamon,  ginger, and blend until combined
  • Pulse in apple slices
  • Mixture will be very soft- almost like a nut butter. Form balls and roll in coconut flakes.
  • Freeze for several hours until they are firm
  • Serve chilled

Disclaimer: Not photographed by me. Photo from thischickcooks.net. I lost my photos on the computer somehow, although mine look almost exactly the same.  Most date-nut balls look quite similar.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment