Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter

Nuts Bananas and Birthdays




     Today was all about nuts, bananas, and birthdays. Upon waking, I blended some cookie dough almond butter with extra brown sugar to send to Westmont for Kate. Kate and I roomed together for two years and ran together for three. I have a picture where I'm eating cereal with berries, and Kate's eating an icecream sundae. Kate takes dessert very seriously, so I made this into more of a dessert nut butter. After synpase PE, I made a quick batch of the banana-chocolate chip-nut bread for Quinn (turning 4). Whenever Quinn and I bake together while I'm babysitting, she tries to reach into the chocolate chip jar and dump in extra chips. We often end up with a couple muffins that have giant chunks of unevenly distributed chocolate. One time I caught her standing on the counter reaching for the jar of chocolate chips. She turned to me with a puzzled look and said "Why would my parents put this here where I can reach it?" :-) I hope both Kate and Quinn enjoy their special birthday treats!
     Now to the featured recipe...Thinking ahead, I decided to make a peanut butter banana sandwich to eat in between the track meet and physics class. No long story about its creation. Elizabeth recommended it, so I made it, and I liked it. This sweet and salty combination makes any toast into cinnamon raisin toast.  Total time 4 minutes.
Ingredients
  • 16 oz bag of roasted peanuts 
    • I used Trader Joe's 50% less salt. Otherwise this might be too salty.
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions
  • Blend peanuts until desired peanut butter consistency
  • add cinnamon and vanilla 
  • blend in 1/4 cup of the raisins
    • This makes the nut butter firmer after refrigerating. If you want it super spreadable omit this step and pulse the entire 1/2 cup in.
  • Pulse or stir in the remaining 1/4 cup 
Note: To make without a food processor, use 2 cups natural peanut butter and a hand mixer for the remaining ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment