Sunday, March 11, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Almond Butter

     Yesterday was a mix of good runs and good food. I whipped up a quick batch of this yesterday before my run and used all my self control not to eat it beforehand. I don't think I've ever laughed so much on a run as I did yesterday, with my brother Pete and my friend Elizabeth. A combination of form imitations, attempts of accents, and nutrition discussions kept us entertained the entire 10 miles. We came back and tried this nut butter on just about everything (pancake recipe to be posted). The second half of the day I put on my coaching gear, and watched my brother Johnny break 5 in the mile at his first track meet ever.
     As for the recipe below, you just have to try it. I normally hate almond extract, so it seemed like a huge risk. But, it was a risk well worth it, because I've been enjoying this cookie-dough-ish spread ever since.



Ingredients- Makes 1 cup +
  • 2 cup roasted almonds*
    • Roast raw almonds on cookie sheet at 350 12 minutes.
  • 1.5 tablespoons- sugar 
    • I used coconut palm sugar
    • use more if you want a sweeter butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (key for cookie dough flavor)
  • 1/3 cup  dark chocolate chips
Directions
  • Blend Almonds until they are smooth.
  • You will need to scrape down the bowl every once in a while and be patient. This will take around 6-9 minutes depending on your food processor.
  • When desired consistency is reached, add other ingredients except chocolate chips.
  • Important!*Refrigerate almond butter, or wait until it becomes room temperature*
    • Failure to do this will result in melting of chocolate chips. I did this in my first trial, and while it actually tastes great, it hardens when at room temperature.
  • stir or pulse in chocolate chips
  • Before chocolate chips
Enjoy. Eat with anything, or even alone.

2 comments:

  1. I am starting to think I need a food processor. Actually, I have known I need one for awhile...and have all of these recipes I want to try! This looks like one to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rae- It is definitely a great investment. I got mine for christmas and use it all the time. You can go so fast in the kitchen with it. Although, you can make this without the food processor if you just take pre made almond butter and mix in the other ingredients.

      Delete