Thursday, September 27, 2012

Homemade Almond Milk

Family Tricks
      I went through an almond milk phase in college when I started experiencing dairy sensitivity. The cross country team had a tradition of ending dinner with a bowl of cereal. Dinner followed after practice, so we generally arrived hungry and stayed a long time. For a few weeks I would always leave dinner with a serious stomachache. When I put it together that the discomfort immediately followed the milk, it was like a light went on. A search light that is, to find a new milk. Almond milk became a new staple in my mini fridge until one day I flat out stopped enjoying it. It had a strange aftertaste I began to despise. Recently, I decided to give almond milk another try, and with a recipe suggested from a coworker, I was ready. This drink redeems almond milk. It is fresh and creamy and feels like you are drinking from an almond tree. 
     Now onto my sneaky trick. About half of my family loved the almond milk, while the others did not touch it. I'm not sure if it was their inability to find it, poor marketing on my part (I did not push this on anyone), or their inability to decipher what was in the pitcher (unknown foods are usually a no).  After the store bought almond milk ran out, I just poured my homemade one into the carton and placed in back in the fridge. Disrupting the morning routine is risky, but my confidence overruled my fear. That night, my Dad set out everything for the next morning as usual. A box of  Joe's Cherrios, a block of dark chocolate, vitamins, and a wine glass (to drink water from). The next morning, and the morning after that, my almond milk was consumed without the blink of an eye by the other half of the family. Who knows, maybe I will start a deceptively delicious section of the blog.
Disclaimer: I would not do this to anyone with a known allergy, or most likely anyone outside my own family. 

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of raw almonds soaked overnight
  • 4 cups cold water
  • pinch salt
  • 2 pitted dates
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla opt
  • Also optional, honey or maple syrup
Directions
  1. In a food processor, blend the almonds and dates with 2 cups of water. Gradually add the next two cups of water and blend until smooth.
  2. Place a clean cloth over a bowl, or use a nut milk bag. Pour the milk into over the cloth
  3. Gather it with your hands and squeeze every last drop out of the bag and save the remaining nut pulp for another recipe.
  4.   Add in vanilla or maple syrup if desired
  5. Refrigerate and drink cold.
  6. Note: Separation is normal, make sure to shake or stir before consuming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment